Sunday, October 19, 2008

Time to buckle down and stress out

Sorry that I haven't updated the blog in almost 2 weeks...I had two papers due last week, and now midterms start tomorrow. These classes were easy sailing until now! With four tests in the next three days, I really don't have any exciting news other than the extensive amounts of studying that I have done. I guess I could tell you about the really cool library that I spend a lot of time at. The British Institute here has an English library that is filled with super old books...it even smells old in there. The library is so neat though. There are ladders everywhere that slide around, like in Beauty and the Beast! I've had to climb up a few times to get some books down, which has proven to be quite difficult. I always feel like I'm gonna fall once I have all the books and I have to go back down the ladder. But I really just want to break out into song every time I get up there, just like Belle! I'm not sure the librarians would be too fond of that outburst...

Other than that, I guess I have taken a few day trips the past couple weekends. I took the bus to Siena last Saturday. It's a town about an hour south of Florence. I went with two other people in the program, and we just explored all day. I took a bunch of pictures, did some sketching, and had a SIX EURO CAPPUCCINO! It was ridiculously ginormous! But very delicious, and worth it to get to sit on a balcony overlooking the city.

Then yesterday I went to Perugia for the international Chocolate Festival. Ahhhhh! I have never seen so much chocolate. I bought a ChocoCard for 5 euro and got free samples at a bunch of the booths. I sampled some chocolate yogurt, liqueur, sausage, bananas...all sorts of interesting things. They even had chocolate pasta! Liz and stood in line for 45 minutes to get our famously delicious Perugian hot chocolate. The booth had this horrible jingle (in English) that kept playing over, and over, and over. So for 45 minutes i listened to..."when the rain is falling and it's cold outside, there's a magical feeling that you just can't hide...." and so on. The melody will forever be engrained in my memory. BUT that was without a doubt the best hot chocolate I have ever tasted. It was more like hot pudding--you had to eat it with a spoon! Then we saw the world's largest chocolate cow...lifesize! Don't worry, I got a picture with it in my Milka chocolate cow headband. The most amusing part was...after you left the hut where that giant cow was, the next booth was this lady doing crazy exercise dancing. She had fast, loud, out of control music blaring, and she was giving an excercise class! I guess if you are planning on eating as much chocolate as I did it would be in your best interest to participate. It was hilarious! In Italian...fast movement...belly full of chocolate. It could have been disastrous.

So now I'm sitting in my bed, stuffing my face with chocolate to overcome my depression from studying. It's not working. But by Wednesday I will be done, and headed off to Paris, Switzerland, and Austria for my fall break! Until then, I miss you all! And...if anyone feels the need to send me anything American to pull me out of my homesickness...I can always send you my address =)

No comments: